Monday, March 28, 2011

Intimate Connections: Passions, Prostrations and Prayer in the midst of Lent

"Flowing Waters" - Snoqualmie Falls, March 2011 - Photo by Trista Wynne

Beloved!
How immeasurably great You are!
How precious to me
are Your whispers.

My Lord and my God,
Your presence commands attention.
How majestic
yet personable You are.

Like a passionate lover stands in the doorway
as his beloved calls to him,
so too do You pause
as we are drawing closer, just to hear my voice.

My heartbeat quickens,
my eyes grow wide,
my breath catches;
a single syllable flows from Your lips.

The sound is sheer ecstasy!

I cannot help myself;
I cry out for You.
Every fiber of my being
trembles in anticipation of our union!

How could I ever long for anything else but You?

My thirst for Your Living Spring runs so deep,
not even the seven seas could quench it.
Yet one drop from the Wellspring of Life
satiates my soul.

My hunger for Your Presence is so strong,
not even the grain to the ends of the earth will satisfy.
Yet a single crumb from the Bread of Life
makes me settle like a weaned child near their mother.

O fill me with Your Presence, Lord;
let me taste Your glory!
Bring me into Your chambers
and let me drink You in!

Not one inch of my being goes unexplored
in Your presence;
every part of me
is washed, kissed, anointed with oil.

Heady spices
fill the room;
I am like one intoxicated
with the very best of wines.

Ecstasy!
Light!
Freedom!
Joy!

If only this moment would last forever!

Alas,
I must return to my natural senses
to share what I experience
when I am with You,

for what we share
is not for us alone.
This is the intimacy You desire:
all of creation to be with You.

O that everyone could experience this love and light and freedom!

I long for the day,
Your Day,
when all of creation will know
that is has been made new.

May Your Day come quickly;
may it bring peace,
may justice, joy, security,
love and compassion be upon us all, amen.

No comments: