Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Purpose of Faith: Interfaith Dialogue & Responding to Darkness in the World

Photo by Trista Wynne


Offering our fellow human beings hope, love and light when they are in the midst of deep despair, pain and darkness -- this is one of the highest callings of humanity.  I wrote this on the Facebook wall of one of my youth just a few minutes ago.  I serve as youth adviser in a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship on Sunday mornings following my service and musical offerings in our Christian Church because I have a high value on interfaith dialogue and study.

I originally hopped online this morning thinking I might post a response to Boston from a Christian perspective, in particular from a Christian leader’s perspective as I am a seminary-trained woman preparing for the possibility of ordination and pastoral leadership.  But then I read my youth’s post about an interaction they’d had with a stranger where they were thanked afterwards for being the brightest moment in the past year of my life and for enlightening me with your perspective of the world.  And I was reminded that no matter what our faith tradition is, one of our highest callings is the offering towards our fellow human beings of hope, love and light in the midst of great despair, pain and darkness.  So, my post this morning is shaped a little differently than originally intended.

I am deeply blessed by my interactions with people of many different faith traditions.  I truly believe that we are reaching our common goal and highest potential when we are in a faith tradition that brings us to a place where we can shine as lights in the world.  For my youth member who wrote on their Facebook wall, it was the UU Principle calling for Justice, equity and compassion in human relations that prompted their empathetic response to the stranger whose life was altered for the better as a result of their conversation.  Whether or not this youth chooses to continue honing their faith path and chooses one particular stream of scriptures to cling to, I believe they will continue to reflect this principle in their lifestyle. 

I believe that when we are in a faith tradition that causes us to offer our fellow human beings hope, love and light when they are in the midst of deep despair, pain and darkness, we are reflecting the original intentions of our Creator.  What is true when we interact with strangers in ways that bring dew drops of peace is true when we interact with creation – with the animals, plants and earth around us – in ways that reflect compassion, justice, equity and love.  For me, it is the way of the Christ, the Christian stream, which causes me to interact with the world in this manner.  For my youth, it is their internalization of the Unitarian Universalist principles.  Personally, I believe that both reflect the heart of God.

I believe in a loving Creator who is in the process of drawing all of creation back into the Heart from which we were birthed. I believe this is a renewal process that was somehow initiated by the life, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus the Christ.  I believe this process of renewal is reflected in all interactions that I described above and that these actions are all influenced by the Holy Spirit who works through all kinds of people regardless of the boundaries we put around ourselves based on gender, race, sexual orientation, mental and physical ability, or creed.  Because I believe these things, I am not threatened by other religions. 

On account of my beliefs, I do not feel the need to indoctrinate or manipulate.  I believe everyone and everything is in the process of being made whole.  The path of spiritual awakening that our Creator calls you to walk might look very different than the path our Creator calls me on.  Each of these spiritual pathways has something of value to offer to the world.

My prayer this morning, in response to all of these ponderings, is somewhat brief compared to some of my other posts.  I pray thusly:

Beloved,
There are many things in this world that cause despair, pain, striving and darkness.  But in the midst of it all, You are working to bring hope, love, peace and light.  Thank You for the work which You are in the process of doing, even in this hour of the night time.  Thank You for the people of many different faith paths who are working alongside of You, even when they don’t know it.  Thank You for the opportunities we have to reflect Your heart in the world.  May we all see Your light reflected in one another’s eyes and may we walk the path of forgiveness and peace no matter our faith tradition. 
In Jesus’ name, amen.

1 comment:

Allison said...

The reflection that I'm giving in chapel today is about the "helpers", and how touched and supported I have been by all the helpers in my life - many who haven't even been necessarily aware that they have provided me with help. Support, love, encouragement, listening, hope.
Thank you for this reflection - there is so much light, and it can outshine the darkness every day.