Thursday, April 25, 2013

Release into Beloved's Arms: A Body Prayer

"Shibashi: Gazing at the Moon"
Photo by Matthew Wynne

Sometimes, dear ones, I get all tangled up in knots, and it is difficult to connect with God.  Wondering what the future holds, furrowing my brow at things from the past, feeling lost and tumultuous in the present -- these things all change my body's posture.  With muscles tense and heart shut tight, I dig my heels into the ground, preparing to wrestle with Spirit.  In moments like this, I cannot love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and strength nor can I love others as myself.  Love, like all emotion, is all bound in the knots within.

In times like these, I speak to my body.  I find it extremely helpful to connect mind, body and spirit together in preparation for the Presence of Beloved.  In one of these times I recorded this meditation poem, a body prayer, in my journal.  May it wash over us and transform our posture so that the Beloved's presence might be made known.

Be still my soul
watch and wait
for our sweet Beloved

Uncurl, dear heart
muscles ease
into our Beloved

Open, o mind,
clear debris
a path for Beloved

Stretch out, body
reach, open,
prepare for Beloved

Breathe deep, o lungs,
inhale full
the gift from Beloved

Soften, belly,
come receive
good things from Beloved

Womb within us,
passion flame,
create with Beloved

Come now, o feet,
be caressed,
cleansed by our Beloved

Be still my soul,
soft, open,
ready for Beloved


"Labyrinth: Come to the Center"
Photo by Matthew Wynne

No comments: