Thursday, July 7, 2011

Extreme Humility

This post was composed last Wednesday as I reflected on the icon of extreme humility in St Thomas' chapel, but I wanted to include a photo when I shared it and didn't have my camera with me at the time.  So, now that I have the icon to show you, please ponder along with my prayer below.

**********


As I gaze upon an icon of Your extreme humility, Beloved, I wonder in what ways we are called to imitate You.  What does humility look like?  How do we implement Your way of the cross into our daily lives?  Did your apostle Paul, who called us to the humble way, embody Your humility in his life and in his writing?

What would the Church look like if we truly embodied Your humility?  How would we act towards one another? Towards those outside of our midst?  Would the crusades have happened?

Would we have cathedrals?  Would we obsess over membership count?  Would there be denominational lines?

I wonder, Lord, what it really looks like to follow You.  I have the sense that, even two-thousand years after You came to the earth, we still struggle to understand what Your way really is.  Somehow I doubt that the way we do things in Your Church resembles anything that happens in Your heavenly courts.  Are we seeking Your heart, Lord?  Do we want to imitate Your humility?  Sometimes I wonder...

No comments: