Friday, June 24, 2011

Growing in the Light

Hello, Beloved.

My heart is much more at peace this evening than it was just a couple of days ago.  You have granted a good sliver of sunshine both days, and I was able to get out and walk without a sweatshirt for three days in a row, at least for a while.  I look forward to having several days in a row where I won't even think about putting on a sweatshirt or sweater.  Perhaps those days are not so very far away.

Living in the Seattle area, I have found myself a little more sensitive to the weather than I used to be.  When we go without sunshine for so many months, our outlooks begin to reflect the weather patterns.  I'm grateful for Your grace, and incredibly thankful for the images of Light found in Your word.  Jesus, You are the Light of the world; the Light no darkness can overcome.  I am so glad that You promise to be our Light for all eternity, and that in You there is no darkness at all


"Growing in the Light" - Photo by Trista Wynne
I wonder, Lord, how I might be a light in Your name today.  What might You desire to shine upon me and have me reflect to the community around me?  It seems that hope is what is needed more than anything else.  Hope, truth, love and healing are the world's biggest needs.  How can I meet these needs through my creative endeavors, my writing, my music and my listening ears?

Do You have a different vision for me than I've had for myself?  I trust that You've brought me into seminary for a reason, but I'm not sure any more that ordained ministry is that reason.  Perhaps You will shape me into a strong teacher.  Maybe this theological education will be the foundation for a plethora of creative activities.  It might be the launching point for a whole new vision of myself and my vocation.  Or maybe I'm simply in a time of rediscovering new reasons for the same calling that I've had since I was a little girl.

Whatever direction I end up taking, Lord, I trust that You are already there.  I will never head down a pathway where You are not present.  There is, like the psalmist said, no place that I could go where You are not already preparing a table for me, spreading a blanket down for a picnic and stretching out so I can lay in the crook of Your arm.

Ah Lord, I love you.

I'm glad that I don't feel like I have to have myself or my life figured out.  You already have the way prepared.  Thank You for this time of rest and recouperation.  Thank You for this sacred space where I can simply be in Your presence.  Thank You that I can rest in Your comforting embrace.  I pray that all peoples in every time and place will know the warmth of Your love, in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: